As a food lover, I am always on the lookout for new and exciting recipes to try. However, there are some dishes that will always hold a special place in my heart, and one of them is the classic Southern sweet potato pie. This recipe has been passed down through my family for generations, and it’s a staple at every holiday gathering. The rich, creamy filling paired with a flaky crust is a true taste of home.
Whenever I take a bite of this pie, it takes me back to my grandmother’s kitchen. The aroma of the sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and nutmeg filling the house and the warmth of her love and care in every bite.
I am excited to share with you my family’s secret recipe for Black Folks’ Sweet Potato Pie. It’s a southern classic that is sure to become a new favorite in your kitchen.
So, let’s get started and bake up a delicious and comforting sweet potato pie!
What Is Black Folks’ Sweet Potato Pie?
Black folk’s sweet potato pie is a classic sweet potato delicacy popular in African-American communities. It is often cooked with a pastry shell and filled with a spiced sweet potato combination (cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spices). The pie is traditionally served during holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. At other seasons of the year, it can be served as a dessert.
Black Folks Sweet Potato Pie vs. Traditional Pie
A black folks’ sweet potato pie differs from a regular sweet potato pie recipe in that the ingredients are usually hotter and include more sugar. Traditional sweet potato pie recipes frequently leave off seasonings like nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and/or allspice. Furthermore, the texture of black folks’ or southern sweet potato pie is often softer and less dry than that of a standard pie. It may also be topped with a meringue or marshmallow topping, which is unusual for traditional sweet potato pie.
Are Black Folks Sweet Potato Pie And Southern Sweet Potato Pie the Same?
Southern sweet potato pie and black folks sweet potato pie are similar in that they both use sweet potatoes as the main ingredient and are typically sweetened with sugar and spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg.
However, the specific recipe and preparation methods can vary between different families and communities, so there may be some variations in flavor and texture.
Difference between Pumpkin Pie and sweet potato pie
Pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie are both traditional dessert pies that are commonly served during the fall and winter months. However, there are some key differences between the two:
- Main ingredient: The main ingredient in pumpkin pie is, as the name suggests, pumpkin puree, while the main ingredient in sweet potato pie is sweet potatoes.
- Flavor: Pumpkin pie has a more earthy, pumpkin-y flavor, while sweet potato pie has a sweeter and more complex flavor, with hints of nutmeg, cinnamon and sometimes ginger.
- Texture: Pumpkin pie is typically denser and smoother, while sweet potato pie is often slightly denser and sometimes has a slightly grainy texture.
- Preparation: Pumpkin pie is typically made by mixing pumpkin puree, spices, sugar and eggs together and baking it in a pie crust, while sweet potato pie is typically made by cooking and mashing sweet potatoes and mixing them with sugar, spices and eggs before baking in a pie crust.
Serving Ideas with Sweet Potato Pie
Sweet potato pie is a delicious and versatile dessert that can be served in a variety of ways. Some popular serving ideas include:
- With a dollop of whipped cream: A dollop of whipped cream on top of a slice of sweet potato pie adds a creamy and sweet contrast to the pie’s rich and slightly dense texture.
- With a scoop of vanilla ice cream: A scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of a slice of sweet potato pie creates a warm and cold contrast that adds a new dimension to the pie’s flavor.
- As a topping for pancakes or waffles: Sweet potato pie can also be used as a topping for pancakes or waffles for a unique and delicious breakfast or brunch dish.
- As a filling for a pie crust: Sweet potato pie can also be used as a filling for a pie crust and topped with a streusel or a crumble, this would make a delicious alternative to the traditional sweet potato pie.
- As a topping for oatmeal or yogurt: Sweet potato pie can be a delicious and healthy topping for oatmeal or yogurt, adding a touch of sweetness and a boost of nutrients to your breakfast or snack.
In this section, I’ll cover some of the questions you might have regarding this black folks’ sweet potato pie or southern sweet potato pie dessert.
What spices belong in a Black folks’ sweet potato pie recipe?
Different spices, including cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ginger, and black pepper, are used to give the pie a rich and nuanced flavor. To make the pie more to your liking, adjust the quantity and add or remove spices.
Why is your sweet potato pie runny?
Your sweet potato pie may be runny due to using too much liquid in the filling or not cooking it long enough. Also, not letting the cooked sweet potatoes cool down before adding the eggs to the mixture can cause the pie to be runny.
How can you thicken your sweet potato pie filling?
You can thicken your sweet potato pie filling by adding ingredients like flour, cornstarch, or instant potato flakes. You can also cook the filling for a longer time to evaporate some of the liquid. Another option is to add more sweet potato puree to the mixture. Whisking an egg or two with your filling can also help thicken it
Can you make this pie ahead?
Yes, you can make sweet potato pie ahead of time. Bake the pie and let it cool completely. Cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the pie for up to 3 months, and let it thaw before serving.
Can you use canned sweet potatoes?
Yes, you can use canned sweet potatoes for this sweet pie. Before mashing the canned sweet potatoes, drain and rinse them. It is important to note that canned sweet potatoes may include added sugar and salt, so adapt the recipe appropriately.
Is sweet potato pie eaten hot or cold?
Sweet potato pie is typically served warm or at room temperature, although it can also be served cold. It is often eaten as a dessert following a meal and is frequently accompanied by whipped cream or ice cream.
Is Sweet Potato Pie A Black Thing?
Sweet potato pie is a traditional Southern dish enjoyed by many cultures for centuries. While it is popular in African American cuisine, it is not exclusively a Black thing. It is a delicious dessert that has been enjoyed by people of all backgrounds for generations.
This black folks’ sweet potato pie recipe is an absolute must-try for anyone looking for a delicious and traditional dessert. The sweet potatoes used in this recipe provide a unique and rich flavor that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. The combination of spices and other ingredients used in the recipe work together to create a depth and complexity that is truly remarkable.
Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it is also perfect for any occasion, whether it be a family gathering, holiday celebration, or just a simple dessert to enjoy at home. Do not hesitate to give this recipe a try, as you will not be disappointed by the delicious and satisfying results.
Last Updated on January 19, 2023 by Lindsay G. Cabral
Lindsay G. Cabral is a recipe blogger who specializes in vegan and gluten-free recipes. Lindsay has been blogging since 2012, and her recipes have been featured on popular websites such as Huffington Post, Mind Body Green, and The Kitchn. In addition to her blog, Lindsay is also the author of two cookbooks, Vegan Yum Yum and Vegan Yum Yum for All Occasions. When she's not in the kitchen, Lindsay enjoys spending time with her husband and two young daughters.