Are you fed up eating buns every day?
I am too, making and eating both. But breakfast without bread doesn’t feel complete, so I didn’t want to skip it. That’s why I have decided to try different buns; now, I no longer bake the same bun again and again. I tried to bring varieties in my buns too; now I bake different types and flavors of buns.
Recently cross buns have become one of our family’s favorite buns because they taste delicious. And as they are easy to make, I also feel comfortable baking them. Maybe you are thinking, what’s so special about cross buns?
Well, I am not talking about any regular cross buns. But the super popular Guyanese cross buns. These are different but with the same effort.
So I have the Guyanese hot cross buns recipes; if you want to learn more about it, you have to scroll down and be with me till the end. So let’s not drag anymore and jump to know the simple Guyanese cross buns recipe.
Ingredients You Will Need
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour,
- 1 ¼ cup milk,
- 1 tablespoon water or milk,
- 2 tablespoons milk,,
- ½ cup melted butter,
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar,
- 1/2 cup white sugar,
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional),
- 1 egg,
- 1 egg yolk,
- 1/4 cup water,
- 1/3 cup water,
- 1 (.25 ounce) package of active dry yeast,
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon,
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg,
- 2 tablespoon sugar,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence,
- Icing Cross,
- 1/4 teaspoon salt,
- Melted sugar for glazing,
Equipment You Will Need
- Large mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Serving plate
Steps To Make Guyanese Cross Buns
Step One: Soak The Yeast
Take a small bowl, add .25 ounce active dry yeast, pour 1 tablespoon of warm milk or water and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Step Two: Mix Dry Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl add flour, salt, cinnamon powder, and nutmeg powder, and give it a good mix.
Step Three: Mix Sugar And Butter
Take a large mixing bowl or stand-up mixer, add butter, and whisk until it melted and turned soft. Then add half of the sugar, give it a good mix until sugar is melted and mixed, then add the rest of the sugar and mix again.
Step Four: Add Liquid Ingredients
Beat and pour one egg and mix again. Next add 1 ¼ cup milk, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and give it a good mix.
Step Five: Make The Dough
The cross buns dough is almost ready, just add the dry ingredients mixer and combine well. Knead well until the dough becomes smooth. If you want to add raising, add in this step and knead well.
Step Six: Let It Rest
Dough is ready but not for baking, cover the dough with a soft cotton cloth and leave it for one hour until it raise and becomes double.
Step Seven: Make Cross Buns
Knead the dough again for a minute, divide it into equal portions,s and make small bowls. With the number of buns we are making, we will get perfect size 12 cross buns. So make the balls, place them in the greased baking tray, cover them, and leave them again for 25-30 minutes to rise.
Step Eight: Bake The Cross Buns
Once time is up, brush the top of the buns with egg yolk and milk mixture. Put the baking tray in the preheated oven (360 degrees for 15 minutes) and set the oven to 160 degrees and bake for 20 minutes.
Step Nine: Garnish And Serve
Take out the baking tray from the oven and let it chill for a few minutes. Then mix sugar and water to make the glaze, brush the top of the buns with this glaze, use frosting and make the cross over the buns, that’s all! The Cross buns are ready to serve.
Why Should You Try Guyanese Cross Buns
Whether you want to make it to enjoy yourself or serve your guest, Guyanese cross buns worth it. It’s a delicious way to enjoy bread without getting bored. They are soft and fluffy and can be served with anything from honey to currants.
Guyana cross buns are named cross buns as two halves of the bun are twisted together before being baked. But not everyone can twist it; some break it or find it too hard. If you are one among them, just make a cross over the bun with some cream, it’s about the taste, no need for perfection.
These buns are very simple to make, just like a regular bun, you just need to add a few more ingredients to make it cross buns Guyanese style. They are made with all-purpose eggs, flour, milk, butter, and some spices.
You can enjoy these buns for breakfast or lunchtime snacks, appetizers, or side dishes for any meal. They’re also perfect for parties because you can serve them with a variety of toppings, such as sugar syrup, butter or cream, jam, or fruit compote. It’s a kind of versatile bun, so you can do many experiments with it.
Plus, they keep well in the fridge so you can easily prepare them ahead of time. If you’re looking for something tasty and healthy to snack on during your next mealtime event, recipe for Guyanese cross buns should be at the top of your list!
How To Store Guyanese Cross Buns
Just like a regular bun you can store Guyanese recipe hot cross buns. But most of us don’t know a few things about storing buns. First of all, you have to ensure your buns come to room temperature before you store them. You have to keep them in an airtight box or bread box after it has cooled down. Now secure the lid tightly so no air inside, little air won’t make a lot of difference, but ensure not too much. And you have to keep this box in a safe place.
What it is? A refrigerator? Absolutely not. While a refrigerator is a good option to store many foods, but not for bread or buns. It will dry out the buns. So keep it inside a kitchen drawer or kitchen cabinet. Both these places are safe for buns. This way you can keep your buns fresh for up to 3 days.
But if you want to store the buns for more days, storing them in the refrigerator is the best option. It wil keep the buns in good condition for up to 1 week.
Tips and Tricks
- If you want to ensure your buns become soft and smooth, use bread flour or self-rising flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- It’s possible to use water instead of milk to activate the yeast, but as it’s a bun, so milk will be a better option. And not just here, but it’s better you don’t even touch water for the whole process. Use milk to make the dough.
- You can add some raisins, or dry fruits to make the cross buns more delicious. But it’s optional, these will add extra calories. So avoid these if you are on diet.
- Resting is very important for buns and bread. If you don’t let them rest just mix and bake, you won’t get the soft, perfect texture buns. It will be just a simple dough.
- Don’t overbake the cross buns, it will dry out the buns and turn them hard. And don’t forget to let them chill before serving, but if you love hot buns, no restrictions.
Health Benefits Of Guyanese Cross Buns
- Cross buns recipe Guyana are a great source of dietary fiber, which is essential for keeping your digestive system healthy.
- It also helps in regulating blood sugar levels and reduces the risk of diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic diseases.
- They may also reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering bad cholesterol levels and increasing good cholesterol levels.
- They contain medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), beneficial for gut health because they promote regularity when it comes to bowel movements.
- These buns are a good source of thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, and vitamin B6
Guyanese cross buns are perfect for breakfast or a snack, and they’re sure to bring a little bit of the Orient to your palate. They’re delicious, filling, and easy to make.
You can make them easily at home by following just a few simple steps. So grab the ingredients and follow my instructions, the result will be an incredible soft bun.
Lets get started and get ready to enjoy delicious Guyanese cross buns with your family and friends.